Sunday, June 7, 2009

Some Examples, and Not...


Here are a few examples from my personal files... they essentially are 'finished studies', namely that they stand on their own as works of art yet they in fact are copies in part at least of objects and/or photos for other more extensive rendering... further, they have been given themes [theme/titles] after the fact, so to speak, as they were initially rendered as mere studies... the oldest one is that of the horse peeking thru the break in the corral fence - and theme/titled "Aisle of View"... the broom one is theme/titles "After the Haunt"... the horseshoe one is theme/titled "Afterthought", and the cup - is just a cup, a study for the "Opening ritual, Second Cup" rendering... now, why those themes seen for those renderings, and could others have been used, or be even better suited [and if so, why]? To begin with, after so many years of theming so that it has become as second nature to me, this is not as easy as first seems - however, there are clues which can bring out possibilities...

Consider the horse one - the photo was from some magazine my father had and this was something I did to while time away during the period I was with him after my mother suddenly died of a heart attack, so I have no idea what the magazine was, only that the photo looked interesting and seemed a good technical challenge... why? good composition, and an inquiry looking stance of the horse... so - the first thing that popped into my head was the old cliche play on words which became the theme/title as it so well exemplified what was seen in the rendering...

The broom one came into a theme/title as I was applying the background bricks to it, and seeing how it resembled one of Harnett's works - thus, with the Harnett title [After the Hunt] in mind, and a broom hung on the wall, it quickly became "After the Haunt".....

The horseshoe one is a pen/ink rendering of an old acrylic painting from many years ago, and is actually a drawing, not [to me anyway] a pen/ink painting, yet the idea of locking a barn door with a horseshoe struck me as an idea done AFTER horses managed to get out - thus the theme/title [why after they're gone - because the horseshoe is in the unlucky position]...


Now, food for thought - what other theme/titles COULD I have used? and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment